Thursday, September 20, 2007

How I love the Beatles


As I was siting here listening to Abbey Road I was reflecting on how much I love the Beatles and how long that love has lasted. I don't know that there has been any other group so long lasting in my eyes musically speaking, especially considering they haven't even produced an album together since Abbey Road.

One thing I love about the Beatles music is the number of renditions I have from other groups. I am not like my father who says he likes the Beatles music, just not when they perform it. So, what brings up the Beatles and covers of their music, I guess it's the new film Across The Universe that uses the music of the Beatles to tell their story. I've only listened to a couple of the songs from the soundtrack, and it's all right so far, it'll probably be a while before I actually see the film.

There are covers that I love and will probably always listen to since I can't really remember a time that I didn't listen to them, namely the Sergio Mendes arrangements, thank you Dad. There are others that I wish had stayed in the minds of their creators rather than being recorded. The soundtrack to another film, I Am Sam, has some great covers and others that bring to mind the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. One of the play lists that I will probably never get rid of on my computer will be Beatles Covers just because it is so great as are the Beatles themselves.

3 comments:

Lucy van Pelt said...

They were such great song writers that the music is great when they perform it as well as when other get their hands on it. They were simply brilliant.

annzy said...

I love the i am sam cover of blackbird. That is my favorite beattles song and I have yet to hear a version of it that I don't love.

Orange said...

don't we all.